Palah Biswas On Unique Identity No1.mpg

Unique Identity No2

Please send the LINK to your Addresslist and send me every update, event, development,documents and FEEDBACK . just mail to palashbiswaskl@gmail.com

Website templates

Zia clarifies his timing of declaration of independence

what mujib said

Jyothi Basu Is Dead

Unflinching Left firm on nuke deal

Jyoti Basu's Address on the Lok Sabha Elections 2009

Basu expresses shock over poll debacle

Jyoti Basu: The Pragmatist

Dr.BR Ambedkar

Memories of Another day

Memories of Another day
While my Parents Pulin Babu and basanti Devi were living

"The Day India Burned"--A Documentary On Partition Part-1/9

Partition

Partition of India - refugees displaced by the partition

Sunday, March 4, 2012

FIR against an IPS officer and the issue of Human dignity

FIR against an IPS officer 


There are times when one finds oneself in quite a fix over whom to go along with. Should one choose to stand with an IPS officer who has been accused of having openly used extremely abusive and filthy language because he is an IPS officer or should one stand with the steno who was humiliated? This choice arose before me on 29th February.


This happened when Jayaprakash Kanaujia, the stenographer in the Rules and Manual office where I am presently posted as SP went to Rahul Asthana, another SP in the department to get an official paper received. There might have been something unpalatable for Asthana in that official paper. But whatever there was in the letter, the way Asthana allegedly behaved is something which one can never expect from a well-educated person and an IPS officer. Asthana allegedly started using absolutely filthy and dirty language against Kanaujia. He is also said to have thrown glass and plate on Kanaujia.


Kanaujia found this behaviour highly improper and disgusting. He felt completely humiliated. He came before me, completely in tears and presented me an application requesting me to get an FIR registered against Asthana. He also said that if his FIR did not get registered, he would resign from the service because he can't compromise his dignity for the sake for service. I was really in a fix because on one hand there was a colleague and an IPS officer and on the other, there was a man in tears, looking for justice.


It did not take me long to side with Kanaujia because I thought that if I can't stand with justice for my own people, how can I deliver justice to others. So, without thinking of the consequences and the personal ill-effects my actions might have upon me, I found myself pursuing Kanaujia's cause.


Today Jayaprakash Kanaujia again came to me almost weeping. He said that despite having presented the application for FIR to all the senior officers, no FIR had been registered so far. He asked me to accompany him to the Mahanagar police station. I again thought whether, as an IPS officer, it would be proper going to a police station in this way. But somehow my urge for justice made me go along.


Finally an FIR No 16/2012 under section 504 IPC has been registered on the basis of Kanuajia's application. He feels that some of his prestige has got salvaged. When he got a copy of the FIR, there were tears of joy in his eyes and when he thanked me with trembling hands, I thought that whatever pains I might had taken in this process, had actually got rewarded to the fuller extent.


Yes, there is no joy more than being on the side of justice. At the same time, I also salute people like Kanaujia who dared to stand against an IPS officer despite knowing the risk of what he was doing. Each of us possibly needs to stand for justice and for our dignity.


Amitabh Thakur
IPS
Lucknow
# 94155-34526

No comments:

Post a Comment